Saturday, July 02, 2005

The weekend is here again...

The weekend is here, and since I'm staying in Yokosuka this weekend, I can actually get some sleep (since I have AC in my apartment). I slept until 10:30 this morning. It was glorious!

I went shopping with the Korean intern next door. It's strange shopping with him because when we are talking to a store clerk, they assume he is Japanese (or at least speaks better Japanese than me), so they start talking to him. He has only studied Japanese for 2 years, but he does have a very large vocabulary for only have studied for that short period of time. He still has some problems with listening and making sentences (yeah, like I don't), so I did most of the talking, but sometimes the clerks would answer my questions to him. Weird...

Anyway, I finally got back to Don Quixote (the mini-Japanese Wal-Mart). If you spend over 10,000 yen (about $100), they deliver your stuff to you free of charge. This is a big bonus if you don't have a car and don't feel like lugging two cases of canned coffee and other junk on the train. Since we didn't have any raw food, they were able to ship all but a few things we wanted to take with us.

We went to eat tempura afterwards, which was really good for a chain restaraunt. Five hundred yen gets you a bowl of miso soup and a big bowl of rice with tempura shrimp, squid, eggplant, and fish (one piece each). It's not a huge meal, but it's filling. Who needs to eat so much when it's hot and muggy, anyway.

I'm at the Internet cafe again. I guess it's not so bad to pay $4 to sit in the AC for an hour and check my e-mail and drink free melon soda (they have other soft drinks, too). Maiko should be here in an hour and a half or so (YEA!!!) and we're going to Kamakura tomorrow. I've never been there, but it should be really cool. Kamakura is the local version of Kyoto - full of old temples and shrines. It was the capital of Japan from 1185 to 1333 during the aptly named Kamakura Period. There is a large bronze buddha statue that has been there since the 13th century. It sits outside because a tsunami washed away the building that housed it in the 15th century and they left it 'as is'. I will definitely take pictures.

That's all for now. I think I'm just going to surf the net for a while and maybe take a walk around the station area until Maiko gets here. See ya!

1 comment:

おにぎりまん said...

What are you now? A J historian? I never thought of Kamakura as a Kanto version of Kyoto. Hahahahaha. I'm sure the people in Kyoto love that!