Sunday, August 28, 2005

Arrived in Osaka...

Well, I survived an eight hour overnight bus ride in tiny seats next to some punk rocker girl who kept falling asleep and dozing off toward me. My butt is sore, but I am alive and well, so I guess I have nothing to complain about. I didn't have to carry my giant luggage around through train stations and I saved more than $100 by not riding the Shinkansen (bullet train).

It was a short ride from where the bus let us off to the hotel. It's 7:30 in the morning and check-in time is 11:00 (had to pay an extra $20 to check in before 2:00 pm), but the front desk is guarding my luggage, so I decided to explore the neighborhood a little. Not much was open when I got here, so I decided to come to the Internet Cafe first and kill some time. I'll have a nice slow breakfast before heading back to the hotel, where I am anxiously awaiting a shower and a nap.

I don't know about the rooms, but the hotel I am staying in (the Fujiya) is in an excellent location. It is only a block or two from Doton Bori, a big shopping and dining street. I have only been in town about an hour, so I don't have too many impressions of the city, but it seems to be a little better laid out than Tokyo. I haven't been on many side streets yet, so I can't say that with any certainty. I am just grateful after a long bus ride with about three and a half hours sleep, Osaka was kind enough to welcome me with relatively low temperatures and humidity.

I am going to catch up on the news about the hurricane heading for New Orleans now. It sounds like about 50 of the typhoons we get over here rolled up into one big storm. I hope you will all say a prayer for all the people in the path of this storm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You in Taiwan yet????